At Johnson State College, we believe the success of a community is based on both a shared commitment to the basic core values of the community and the individual member’s sense of responsibility. As a community centered on the growth and learning of its members, Johnson State College commits to:
- An educationally purposeful community where faculty and students share academic goals and work together to strengthen teaching and learning on campus.
- An open community where freedom of expression is uncompromisingly protected and where civility is positively affirmed.
- A just community where the sacredness of the person is honored and diversity is pursued.
- A disciplined community where individuals accept their obligations to the group.
- A caring community where the well-being of each member is sensitively supported and service to others is encouraged.
- A celebrative community where the heritage of the institution is remembered and where rituals affirming tradition are widely shared.
We are grateful to each member of this community for honoring these values and acting accordingly.
This commitment is reflected in our mission and values statements.
The Johnson State community believes in the power of higher education to transform lives. We express this commitment through an education that crosses academic and other boundaries, wherever possible; creates opportunities for students to extend their classroom learning to the field, the laboratory, the studio, the community, and the local and wider world; recognizes the diverse starting points and goals of students; and sustains active participation, high standards, vigorous debate and mutual respect.
The following are some of the key values guiding our work at Johnson State.
- We combine extended classroom experiences with cross-disciplinary learning to enhance our academic programs and expand our students’ world view.
- Our faculty members are active scholars and researchers; but first and foremost, they are committed to our students.
- We offer a friendly, intimate atmosphere that allows students to develop close relationships with faculty and to receive the various forms of support they need to succeed.
- We promote environmental and social awareness through our academic offerings and community-based activities.
- We recognize the many paths students take in pursuing their education and create an inclusive environment for both “traditional” and “nontraditional” students.