Johnson State began as an elementary and secondary school in 1828 and was chartered as Johnson Academy four years later. In 1866 the State of Vermont designated Johnson Academy as a “Normal School” — an institution exclusively for teacher training.
Over the next eight decades, the Johnson Normal School offered one-, two- and three-year teacher-training programs. The school became Johnson Teachers College in 1947, when the state approved a four-year teaching program.
In 1962 Johnson State College assumed its current name, signaling a change in mission from a single-purpose teacher-training college to a college that teaches the liberal arts and prepares students for a range of professions. Over the last four decades, we have expanded our curriculum in the professional programs and liberal arts and sciences — and we have boosted our enrollment and built new facilities to meet this mission.
Today, our modern, 14-building campus spreads over 350 hilltop acres and serves nearly 2,000 students.