Students taking at least nine credits per semester are required to live on campus. Students who meet one or more of these conditions are automatically exempt from this policy:
- Are age 21 or will turn 21 on or before the start of the spring semester.
- Are married or partners of a civil union.
- Are a parent with custody of their child(ren).
- Are completing an internship, teaching practicum or assistantship beyond the Johnson area.
- Have already lived on a college campus for four semesters.
- Have completed 60 or more credits.
Students who have signed a Housing Contract (login required) are responsible for fulfilling their contractual obligation for the full academic year.
All students living on campus pay a $100 room deposit. (This is included in the admissions deposit paid by new students.) Returning students must pay this deposit before they can select their room for the upcoming academic year in April. Students will not be guaranteed their room of choice until the deposit is received.
For the complete version of the JSC Housing Policy, consult the Student Handbook of Rights and Responsibilities.
Grounds for Exemption from the JSC Housing Policy
Students who do not meet the criteria above may still apply for exemption. The following are acceptable grounds:
- Commuting from home. Only students who live in Lamoille County or within 30 driving miles are eligible for this exemption. The Housing Review Form must be accompanied by a Parent Statement Form.
- Financial Reasons. JSC Student Financial Services will review and make a recommendation on these requests.
- Disability. Requests in this category must be supported by documentation of the disability and a recommendation from the Learning Specialist or other qualified staff in Academic Support Services.
- Health Reasons. Documentation attesting to the existence of a health condition and whether it is aggravated specifically by living on campus must be provided to the Health and Counseling Center for review by qualified JSC staff, who will then make a recommendation to the Housing Review Committee.
- Extraordinary circumstances.
How to Apply for An Exemption from the JSC Housing Policy
You must complete a Housing Review Form and provide any other required documentation along with your request for an exemption. The Office of Residence Life must receive your completed form:
- By April 1 if you are a current student requesting exemption for the fall semester
- By December 1 if you are requesting exemption for the spring semester
- By July 1 if you are a new student requesting exemption for the fall semester
The Housing Review Committee reviews requests promptly and provides a written reply. Decisions of the Housing Review Committee are final.