In general, to the extent that campus housing is available, students taking at least nine credits per semester are required to live on campus. Students who meet one or more of these conditions are automatically exempt from this policy:
- Are age 21 or will turn 21 on or before the start of the spring semester
- Are married or partners of a civil union
- Are a single parent with custody of their child(ren)
- Are completing an internship, teaching practicum or assistantship beyond the Johnson area
- Have already lived on a college campus for four semesters
- Have completed 60 or more credits *Have a permanent residence within 30 miles of campus and plan to commute to campus (NOTE: In order to receive this exemption, a parent or legal guardian must complete the Parent Statement Form.
- Are a returning student who has met the on-campus housing policy requirement. (Note: If you signed a housing contract prior to leaving for the summer, you may break that contract without penalty before May 30.)
- Are registered for fewer than nine credits per semester, as noted above.
Students who have signed a Housing Contract are responsible for fulfilling their contractual obligation for the full academic year.
All students living on campus pay a $100 room deposit. (This is included in the admissions deposit paid by new students.) Returning students must pay this deposit before they can select their room for the upcoming academic year in April. Students will not be guaranteed their room of choice until the deposit is received.
For the complete version of the JSC Housing Policy, consult the Student Handbook of Rights and Responsibilities.
Grounds for Exemption from the JSC Housing Policy
In addition to the reasons noted above, the following are grounds for which students may request exemption from the JSC campus housing requirement:
- Physical reasons (with medical certification reviewed and supported by JSC’s Health Center)
- Psychological reasons (with certification from a mental health professional and review by a JSC Counselor)
- Academic disability (with appropriate documentation reviewed and supported by a JSC Learning Specialist)
- Economic reasons (with reasons reviewed and supported by the JSC Financial Aid Office)
- Extraordinary circumstances
How to Apply for An Exemption from the JSC Housing Policy
You must complete a Housing Review Form and provide any other required documentation along with your request for an exemption. The Office of Residence Life must receive your completed form:
- By April 1 if you are a current student requesting exemption for the fall semester
- By December 1 if you are requesting exemption for the spring semester
- By July 1 if you are a new student requesting exemption for the fall semester
The Housing Review Committee reviews requests promptly and provides a written reply. Decisions of the Housing Review Committee are final.