Your residence hall room is your home away from home and we want you to bring your own sense of style to it so that you feel comfortable — wall hangings, blankets, lamps and other things can go a long way to making your room (or your corner of a shared room!) feel like ‘yours.’ That being said, safety regulations and the realities of communal living require that you leave some things behind. Here is a guide to what you should bring and what you should leave at home.
What Should I Bring?
- Bed linens
- Study lamp
- Area or throw rugs (all rooms are tile, except parts of Martinetti 3rd floor)
- Alarm clock
- Mini-refrigerator (no more than 90 lbs)*
- Microwave (no more than 700 watts)*
- A few decorative items**
*We allow one of these per room. Sharing benefits you (by taking up less space) and everyone (cutting down on electricity use).
**Per fire code, no more than 30% of the wall space in a room may be covered with flammables. Please bear that in mind when choosing wall hangings.
What Should I Leave At Home?
- Pets (other than a fish in a five-gallon tank)
- Firearms or weapons (including “fake” or facsimile weapons and pellet or airsoft guns)
- Indoor or outdoor grills
- Toaster oven
- Hot plate
- Waffle iron
- Box fan or window fan (a floor fan is fine)
- Flammable items
- Air conditioner
Note: This is not necessarily a complete list. See the Student Handbook of Rights and Responsibilities for more information.
What Will I Find In My Residence Hall Room?
- Twin long bed (mattress measured at 36 x 80)
- Wardrobe closets (Martinetti has actual closets)
- Desk and Chair
- Internet (for each resident)
- Cable (one hookup for the room)
- Dressers (in most Martinetti rooms)
- Voicemail for each room resident
- Bookshelf or bookcase (usually attached to the desk)
- Curtains or blinds
Please note: furniture may not be removed from the room, and must be kept intact as you find it.
Some triple rooms have one desk and one table long enough for two to share.
What Will I Find In My Residence Hall Building?
- Public lounges
- Laundry facilities (coin operated)
- Vending machines
- Martinetti Hall has a student kitchen
- Governors Hall has recreational space
- Senators Hall has a pool room
- Arthur Hall has suites