We do! And three ponds and lots of acres of forest, too! The College owns and cares for one of our most impressive outdoor classrooms, the Babcock Nature Preserve, located in nearby Eden, Vermont. This 1,000-acre area of forest serves as an outdoor laboratory for field biology, ornithology and environmental science courses. In addition to learning from an enjoying the preserve, JSC students, staff and faculty regularly volunteer their time to do maintenance and upkeep of the area, to ensure that it is there for generations to come.
The Babcock Nature Preserve is open to the public.
Driving Directions to Babcock Nature Preserve from Johnson State College
- Head south on College Hill Rd toward S Pond Rd
- Turn right to stay on College Hill Rd
- Turn left at School St
- Turn left at Vermont 100C N
- Turn left at VT-100 N
- Turn left at Knowles Flat Rd
- Turn right to stay on Knowles Flat Rd
- Take the 1st left onto Crooks Rd
- Slight left at Baker Rd
- Arriving at Baker Rd
Total: 11.6 mi - about 30 mins (dirt roads are slow!)