Ready to Row!
To kick-off the new academic year and to celebrate the accomplishment documented in our 2014 Common Reading Book, A Pearl in the Storm by Tori Murden McClure, we’re excited to announce the First Chesamore Cup Regatta at Johnson State College!
Ok, sure, we’re a hilltop campus in a landlocked state, but that’s not going to stop us! During the first month of the fall semester, we’re challenging students, staff, faculty, alumni, families and community members to take part in a virtual recreation of Tori’s first month at sea by matching her mileage — 1,350 miles! — on rowing machines located on campus (or wherever you happen to be able to access one, if you’re taking part from off-campus.)
Vermont-based company Concept 2 will be donating three machines (in addition to the two we already own, in use at SHAPE) that will travel around campus, between dorms, in the student center, etc. so we can all add a few meters to the total.
In addition to getting some exercise and having fun, we’ve also thrown in a couple of other incentives to sweeten the deal:
- Every participant who creates a Concept 2 profile (see below) and logs any amount of meters to the JSC affiliation will be automatically entered to win an iPad
- The participant who enters the most meters on his or her Concept 2 profile under the JSC affiliation will receive a Kindle
How to Participate
There are two ways to log your distance and help JSC reach our goal.
1) To be entered in the drawing, create a Concept 2 profile online
- On the Concept 2 website, select “Register” under the New Users box in the left-hand side of the page
- Complete the mandatory fields, but also BE SURE TO ENTER YOUR AFFILIATION so that your meters get added to Team JSC.
2) Enter your distance without creating a Concept 2 profile.
- If you don’t want to create a profile, but still want to participate, simply enter your distance below. It will get added to the team total, but you won’t be entered in the drawing.