Types of Financial Aid

The JSC campus

Johnson State College students access a variety of sources to fund their education. Grants, scholarships, federal work-study, and federal loans are all available to qualifying students. Most students pay for their education using a combination of these sources as well as federal Parent PLUS Loans for dependent students. Federal loans are highly recommended as a family’s first resource, although some students do use private student loans; co-signers are required.

Below is an overview of gift aid verses self-help aid you may be eligible for as determined by your FAFSA information. For more in-depth information about types of aid, explore the links to the left.


Gift Aid — In the form of grants or scholarships; does not have to be repaid   Self Help Aid Must be repaid (loans) or earned through employment (work-study)
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loans
  • JSC Institutional Grants
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loans
  • State Grants
  • Federal Parent PLUS Loans
  • JSC Scholarships
  • Federal Work-Study