If you’re a motivated high school student who’s ready to work at the college level while finishing up your diploma, Johnson State College offers two non-residential programs just for you: Early College for seniors, and Jump Start for both juniors and seniors.
Both allow you to choose from a variety of courses at JSC while exploring your choice of major and experiencing the college academic environment — and each course you successfully complete at JSC counts toward both high school and college.
You must be at least 16 years old and enrolled full time in high school or in an approved home-school program in order to be considered for admission to either program.
Early College Program
- Spend your senior year of high school taking classes at Johnson State College.
- Earn up to 30 college credits over two semesters at no cost for tuition.
- Complete your high school graduation requirements at the same time.
- Enjoy access to JSC’s many campus resources without living on campus.
- Sign up for JSC’s Early College Program in the Fine, Creative or Performing Arts, or design your own program of study.
- **Apply by April 1 for fall enrollment.
Jump Start Program
- Take up to two tuition-free courses at Johnson State College after completing your sophomore year of high school
- Earn up to 8 college credits (4 per course) at no cost for tuition.
- No application deadlines! You’ll be considered for the next available semester upon receipt of your application.
Early College and Jump Start at Johnson State are made possible by Vermont’s Flexible Pathways Initiative. Tuition is free, but students are expected to cover the cost of books and any course fees.
How to Apply
- Complete the Early College/Jump Start application online.
- Request a letter of recommendation from your guidance counselor or home-school coordinator.
- If you’ve taken the SAT or ACT exam, provide a copy of your test results.
- Obtain a copy of your high school transcript.
- If applying for Early College, include your essay.
Submit all of the above — by email, fax or mail to:
Johnson State College
337 College Hill, Johnson, VT 05656
We’re here to help!
Contact Joye Lyon, Assistant Director of Admissions/Early College Coordinator