If you’re a motivated high school student who’s ready to work at the college level while finishing up your diploma, Johnson State College offers two programs just for you: Early College for seniors who want to take their final year of high school at JSC, and Jump Start for juniors and seniors who want to take one or two college courses a year while in high school.
Both allow you to choose from a variety of courses at JSC while exploring your choice of major and experiencing the college academic environment -— and each course you successfully complete at JSC counts toward both high school and college.
You must be at least 16 years old and enrolled full time in high school or in an approved home-school program in order to be considered for admission to either program.
The Early College Program
- Spend your senior year of high school taking classes at Johnson State College.
- Earn up to 30 college credits over two semesters at no cost for tuition.
- Complete your high school graduation requirements at the same time.
- Enjoy access to JSC’s many campus resources with or without living on campus.
- Applications for fall admission are accepted through April 1. Please note that this is a very competitive program with limited space. Applications are reviewed as they come in until the program is full.
The Jump Start Program
- Take up to two tuition-free courses a year at Johnson State College after completing your sophomore year of high school.
- Earn up to 8 college credits (4 per course) at no cost for tuition.
- No application deadlines! You’ll be considered for the next available semester upon receipt of your application.
The Early College and Jump Start programs at Johnson State are made possible by Vermont’s Flexible Pathways Initiative. Tuition is free, but students are expected to cover the other costs, including:
- Room and board (if living on campus)
- Parking permits (if bringing a car to campus)
- Health insurance if proof of other coverage cannot be demonstrated
- Course fees
How to Apply
- Complete the Early College/Jump Start application.
- Request a letter of recommendation from your guidance counselor or home-school coordinator.
- If you’ve taken the SAT or ACT exam, provide a copy of your test results.
- Obtain a copy of your high school transcript.
- If applying for Early College, include your essay.
- We will contact you to schedule a personal interview, which is required of all applicants.
Submit all of the above — by email, fax or mail — to:
Johnson State College
337 College Hill, Johnson, VT 05656
We’re here to help!
Contact Joye Lyon, Assistant Director of Admissions/Early College Coordinator