If you’re a motivated high school student in Vermont who’s ready to work at the college level while finishing up your diploma, Johnson State College offers two programs just for you: Early College for seniors who want to take their final year of high school at JSC, and Jump Start for juniors and seniors who want to take one or two college courses a year while in high school.
Both allow you to choose from a variety of courses at JSC while exploring your choice of major and experiencing the college academic environment -— and each course you successfully complete at JSC counts toward both high school and college.
You must be a Vermont resident, at least 16 years old and enrolled full time in high school or in an approved home-school program in order to be considered for admission to either program.
The Early College Program
- Spend your senior year of high school taking classes at Johnson State College.
- Earn up to 30 college credits over two semesters completely tuition-free!
- Complete your high school graduation requirements at the same time.
- Enjoy access to JSC’s many campus resources.
- Room and board charges apply if you choose to live on campus; textbooks and any course fees are your responsibility as well.
- Applications for fall admission are accepted through May 15. Please note that this is a very competitive program with limited space. Applications are reviewed as they come in until the program is full.
The Jump Start Program
- Take up to two tuition-free courses a year at Johnson State College after completing your sophomore year of high school.
- Earn up to 8 college credits (4 per course) completely tuition-free! (You are responsible for books and any course fees.)
- No application deadlines! You’ll be considered for the next available semester upon receipt of your application.
New: Jump Start Online!
Now Jump Start students can take four courses completely online! Choose from these 3-credit, freshman- and sophomore- level courses:
- College Writing (ENG-1071)
- Introduction to Sociology (SOC-1010)
- Introduction to Psychology (PSY-1010)
- Probability & Statistics (MAT-2030)
Jump Start Online courses are taught by experienced faculty and include an orientation session to acquaint you with how online learning works.
The Early College and Jump Start programs at Johnson State are made possible by Vermont’s Flexible Pathways Initiative. Tuition is free, but students are expected to cover the other costs, including:
- Room and board, if living on campus
- Course fees
- Health insurance if proof of other coverage cannot be demonstrated
- Parking permits (if bringing a car to campus)
How to Apply
- Complete the Early College/Jump Start application.
- Request a letter of recommendation from your guidance counselor or home-school coordinator.
- If you’ve taken the SAT or ACT exam, provide a copy of your test results.
- Obtain a copy of your high school transcript.
- If applying for Early College, include your essay.
- We will contact you to schedule a personal interview, which is required of all applicants.
Submit all of the above — by email, fax or mail — to: Joye Lyon Admissions Office Johnson State College 337 College Hill, Johnson, VT 05656 Email: email@example.com Fax: 802-635-1230
We’re here to help! Contact Joye Lyon, Assistant Director of Admissions/Early College Coordinator Phone: 802-635-1218 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org