As a part of Johnson State’s music program, you’ll gain a strong foundation of skills, theory, and history in your classes, but it’s in our performance groups that you’ll really get the high-impact experience of playing with others in front of an audience and will take your playing to the next level. Learn more about our music ensembles below.
Funk Fusion Ensemble
Directed by Greg Matses, the JSC Funk Fusion Ensemble plays music composed and arranged for standard funk/fusion instrumentation (voice, guitar, drums/percussion, bass, keyboard, horns). Students rehearse and perform music in a broad range of funk, soul, and jazz/rock fusion styles while continuing to improve their sight-reading, part playing, and improvisation skills. The ensemble performs material from James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Amy Winehouse, the Meters, Aretha Franklin, Jeff Beck Group, Bill Withers, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and many others. The Funk Fusion Ensemble is open to all instruments/vocalists with some playing and/or singing experience.
Meetings Times and Locations: Thursdays from 4-6 p.m., Dibden Center for the Arts, Dressing Room B
Sample Repertoire Lists
Fall 2016 setlist
- Brother, I’m Hungry (Jon Cleary)
- Black Horse and the Cherry Tree (KT Tunstall)
- You Know I’m No Good (Amy Winehouse)
- The Last Suppit (Lettuce – Adam Deitch/Neal Evans)
- Nothing From Nothing (Billie Preston/Bruce Fisher)
Spring 2017 setlist
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell)
- Right Place Wrong Time (Dr. John)
- Respect (Aretha Franklin – Otis Redding)
- Scatterbrain (Jeff Beck – Max Middleton)
- Borderline (Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds)
Watch a recent JSC Funk Fusion Ensemble Performance
Directed by Steven Light, the JSC Concert Band is a relaxed, fun loving and musically dedicated group of musicians who enjoy working together to produce technically accurate and musically sensitive performances. It is made up of Johnson State students (both music majors and non-music majors), select high school students, and local community members. The Concert Band has about 55 members with great, balanced instrumentation playing at a collegiate/professional level.
For more information about the JSC Concert Band, visit its website.
Meetings Times and Locations: Thursdays, 7-9 p.m. Dibden Center for the Arts Stage
Performance Schedule: 2 yearly end-of-semester performances
- Procession to the End of Time - Vaclav Nelhybel
- Solas Ane, Southern Hymn, Ride - Sam Hazo
- Selections by Gustav Holst, Eric Whitacre, Percy Grainger, Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, arrangements by the director and much more!