When considering a college to pursue your passion in the performing arts — in music, dance, theater, vocal and instrumental performance — what do you look for?
Programs with small and intimate classes, allowing you work one on one with faculty who have not only “been there” but are practicing professionals? Opportunities to perform on stage — even in leading roles in major productions — your very first semester? A strong community of aspiring actors, musicians, dancers and faculty mentors? Professors who support you every step of the way — during your college years and after — yet are brutally honest and challenging to support your growth as an artist?
If that’s your idea of the ideal learning environment and professional training ground, Johnson State College may be the perfect fit for you.
Here you will find outstanding faculty and facilities that belie our small size and idyllic rural setting, opportunities you never imagined, and the chance to learn a broad range of skills that vastly improve your marketability after graduation. Our goal is to create graduates who are truly versatile, extremely talented and well-trained in many areas. After all, anyone will tell you that once you you’re out in the real world, what matters is how versatile and talented you are — not the degree you’ve earned and where it’s from.
All of our programs emphasize teamwork: teamwork among directors, actors and technical crew; among vocalists and instrumentalists; among performers and audience members; among students and teachers. As a student in one of our programs, you will learn to work well in teams, resolve conflicts, think on your feet and solve problems on the fly — skills that will serve you well on stage, and in life.
- B. A. in Music, Music Composition track
- B. A. in Music, Instrumental Performance track (classical or jazz/contemporary)
- B. A. in Music, Vocal Performance track (classical or jazz/contemporary)
- B. A. in Music, Sound Engineering track
- B. A. in Music, Self-Designed track (“Creative Pathways”)
- B. A. in Music Performance and Music Education (5-year program)
- B. A. in Musical Theater
- B. A. in Theater and Drama
- A. A. in Technical Theater
- Teacher License Endorsement in Music Education, Theater Arts and Dance