Planning to major in biology or environmental science? If you’ve got the grades, the aptitude and the desire and enthusiasm to play an active role in your science education at Johnson State College, we may have a START Science Scholarship waiting here for you. START scholars can receive up to $10,000 for two years. The scholarship is funded by a major grant from the National Science Foundation that runs from 2012 to 2017.
You May Be Eligible for a START Scholarship if you…
- Are majoring in Biology or Environmental Science at JSC;
- Have a minimum 3.0 grade point average;
- Have no more than 60 college credits; and
- Have financial need as documented on your FAFSA (loans count!).
Benefits of Being a START Scholar
In addition to receiving up to $10,000 to help cover tuition costs, START scholars receive many other benefits, including:
- Ongoing opportunities to conduct research and gather field samples alongside faculty and other START students
- Intensive faculty mentoring
- Ongoing opportunities to build your professional networks by attending and presenting at professional conferences
- Opportunities to build a strong portfolio of work
- Structured learning communities
- Focused academic and career advising
- Numerous opportunities to meet and connect with leading scientists and policymakers who speak on campus as part of our Environmental & Health Sciences Lecture Series
Most other colleges reserve these kinds of experiences for graduate students — but START scholars dig right in starting their very first year at JSC.
As a START scholar, you’ll participate in a special seminar focused on improving communication, academic, research and technical skills. In addition to building skills in note- and test-taking, the seminar covers critical reading of scientific literature, reviews of JSC faculty research, laboratory techniques, writing workshops, mathematics workshops, grantwriting, oral presentation skills, preparation for participation in science conferences, time-management skills, financial-management skills, research opportunities, internship opportunities, applications to seek advanced degrees, assistance in seeking internships and future employment, interviewing skills and resume writing.
The goals of this initiative are for students, faculty and staff to work together to prepare students for graduate school and future employment by providing realistic, relevant, supportive and challenging research and learning opportunities. The enhanced student support programs and services provided to START scholars ensure a rich and successful undergraduate experience and degree completion.
How to Apply
If you think you’ve got what it takes and want to learn more, download the START Science Scholarship application guidelines and apply today, or contact Dr. Leslie Kanat at email@example.com or 802-635-1327 for more information.
START Science Scholarships are awarded on a rolling basis, as applications are received and reviewed, and as funds are available. Apply early for the best opportunity.