Degree Programs to Fit Your Schedule & Goals
UNDERGRADUATE DISTANCE-LEARNING DEGREE PROGRAMS
* Wellness & Alternative Medicine (B.S.) — Learn more AND preview a course!
* Professional Studies (B.A.) — self-designed
* Interdisciplinary Studies (B.A.) — self-designed
* Psychology (B.A.) — choose general Psychology or Pre-Professional Counseling concentration
* Business (B.A.) — choose Accounting or Management concentration
Coming in July 2018: Northern Vermont University Online
On July 1, 2018, Johnson State College and Lyndon State College will become Northern Vermont University, a single university with two campuses and an online degree division. Students entering the online program during spring 2018 will be admitted to Johnson State College Online. When Northern Vermont University officially launches in summer 2018, JSC Online students will become NVU Online students and earn their degree from Northern Vermont University.
- 100% online!
- Whether you live in Vermont or miles away from our Green Mountain state, you’ll pay In-state rates!*
- Requires a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
*JSC Online students living outside Vermont pay the in-state rate for online courses they take from Johnson State College. The in-state rate does not apply to any face-to-face JSC courses or to courses of any type taken from other Vermont State College institutions.
EXTERNAL DEGREE PROGRAM (EDP)
- Requires 60 or more college credits
- Vermont’s most flexible and convenient bachelor’s-degree-completion program
- Online and weekend classes in communities throughout Vermont
- Personalized advising and the option to design your own degree program
- Apply your existing college credits to our degree programs
- We can even help you get credit for life experience!
Our advisors will work closely with you to match your previous college credits to your degree requirements. Advisors go above and beyond to provide maximum use of your transfer credits. Find contact info for our Distance Learning Advisors here.
Credit for Life Experience
The Vermont State Colleges’ “Assessment of Prior Learning” course may help you save time and money by applying college credit to your work experience. This three-credit, semester-long course is available online or in class through Community College of Vermont.
How Do I Transfer My Previous Credits?
After being accepted to JSC, contact your advisor to get started on matching your credits to a degree.
Wellness & Alternative Medicine (B.S)
Johnson State College is among the nation’s first accredited colleges to offer a science-based undergraduate degree program in wellness and alternative medicine (WAM). Students in this program explore the social, cultural, political and psychological dimensions of various systems of health care. It is a rigorous, science-based undergraduate program that emphasizes holistic models for health, wellness and healing. Based on the scientific protocols set by the National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine and Bastyr University’s Naturopathic Medical School program in Seattle, Washington, it provides the scientific knowledge and practical skills needed to make informed healthcare decisions and lifestyle choices and to prepare for careers as state-of-the-art healthcare professionals, veterinarians and doctors.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE B.S. IN WELLNESS & ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
Professional Studies (B.A.) — self-designed
Students who choose the B.A. in Professional Studies design their own programs with focus in a specific area of interest, usually a career-oriented field such as business management, human resources administration, human services, communications, accounting, non-profit administration, pre-legal studies, and many others. Graduates in Professional Studies have gone on to successful careers as bankers, human resource directors, project managers, journalists, case managers, customs and immigration administrators, law enforcement leaders or, with further study, as lawyers, counselors, and behavior interventionists, just to name a few. This program offers great flexibility to suit individuals’ personal and professional interests. It also makes maximum use of transfer credit and includes the possibility to earn credit for life experience. LEARN MORE ABOUT THE B.A. IN PROFESSIONAL STUDIES
Examples of programs designed by students:
- A focus on human resources management, or business management in general, might combine courses in business and psychology.
- A focus on human services might combine courses in psychology and sociology/anthropology.
- A focus on health care administration might combine courses in business and health sciences.
- A focus on non-profit administration might combine courses in business and sociology.
- A focus on healing arts might combine courses in biology and wellness (WAM, Soc).
- A focus on working with kids who have autism might combine courses in psychology and education.
The psychology curriculum at JSC is comprehensive and thorough. Our faculty push you to question contentious issues in psychology and explore the psychological aspects of everything from the Civil War to gender to aging. You’ll learn the fundamentals of psychology and research, develop critical-thinking skills, and learn to analyze and integrate information from other disciplines to the field of psychology. A broad choice of electives in developmental, abnormal and social psychology allow expand your knowledge and allow you to tailor your degree toward a particular interest. As a culminating experience, with the support of your advisor, you’ll complete and document an internship or advanced research project in your home community.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE B.A. IN PSYCHOLOGY