During the fall 2015 semester, 151 JSC students interned for 248 credits, performing 13,830 hours of work in numerous businesses, nonprofits, community initiatives, and in the governmental sector. And there’s a good reason for that! Whether you’re looking to explore potential careers, gain new skills and experience, or establish a professional network that can help you find a job after graduation, internships are an essential tool in career preparedness. Many students report that their internships were a highlight of their academic experience.
Overall, 70% of our graduates who interned feel their internships were crucial in their job search success.
JSC students have interned in Vermont and throughout the U.S., from the Union Bank in nearby Morrisville, to the Stowe Reporter, to Jay Peak, to Walt Disney World in Florida and the office of Senator Patrick Leahy in Washington, D.C.
Internship Support Grants
The Union Bank and the JSC President’s Fund for Excellence in Teaching & Learning have generously donated to the Internship Support Fund. In fall 2015, ten interns received small grants (averaging $300) to support costs associated with internships. A sampling of these grant recipients includes:
* Kyle Ducharme, Nutrition Educator for Families Learning Together at Lamoille Family Center
* Allyson Bruckner, Animal Care Intern at ECHO Lake Aquarium Science Center
* Jillian Lopez, Shelter Advocate Intern at Clarina Howard Nichols Center
* Georgina Duncan, Yoga Teacher Training at Laughing River Yoga Studio
If you’d like to know more about the JSC internship experience, please contact Ellen Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internships by the Numbers
In the 2014-2015 academic year:
- 188 JSC students interned
for a total of
- 49,900 hours,
- 826 college credits
2014 Graduate Survey Results
- 21% of students who interned are currently employed at their internship/practicum site
- 24% of students received a job offer at their internship site to continue but declined
- 25% report being hired elsewhere because of internship experience