The Advising & Registration Center, located in Dewey Hall on the JSC campus, is home base for students enrolled in campus-based (ie, not EDP) undergraduate degree programs. Our focus includes:
Meeting Advising Goals
- Clarify your academic and life goals
- Develop a meaningful educational plan
- Select appropriate courses and other educational experiences
- Interpret and keep track of the fulfillment of institutional requirements
- Increase your awareness of co-curricular educational resources
- Enhance your decision-making skills
- Share degree planning advice
Your first semester is the right time to start planning for your future.
- Get to know your advisor. Frequent contact with an advisor is one of the most important factors in student success.
- Familiarize yourself with the Undergraduate Catalog. You’ll use this resource throughout your college career.
- Learn how to use the Web Services resources located at MyJSC.jsc.edu for direct access to your academic records and registration tools.
- Once you’ve completed 45 credits (12 credits if you are pursuing an associate’s degree), complete a Plan of Study. This process is very helpful as it outlines, specifically, which courses you will need to complete to meet degree and General Education requirements and when you should plan to take them.
Helping You to Stay on Track to Meet Degree Requirements
Requirements to remember:
- Completion of at least 120 credit hours (60 for an associate’s degree) not including basic skills credits
- Achievement of a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Completion of the General Education Core Curriculum (GECC)
- Successful completion of the Writing Proficiency Exam (not required for an associate’s degree)
- Completion of a Plan of Study approved by the sponsoring department
- Completion of all coursework in the major
- At least 30 of the last 39 credits must be earned from JSC
- At least 39 credits must be at the 3000/4000 (upper) level (not required for an associate’s degree)
Advising & Degree Planning for External Degree Students
The External Degree Program offers extensive and personalized advising for all participants. Learn more about EDP and advising for EDP students.
Advising & Degree Planning for Graduate Students
The Office of Graduate Studies at JSC can assist you with planning your graduate work. Learn more about graduate studies at JSC.