We are committed to supporting every Johnson State College student in their quest to achieve their full academic potential, and we provide appropriate accommodations and services to ensure that all students can fully participate in JSC programs. Services for students with documented disabilities are coordinated and provided by the Office of Academic Support Services, located in Dewey Hall.
About Accommodations at the College Level
Students seeking accommodations and services at the post-secondary level must make a formal request. Unlike high school, there is no automatic referral process.
If you require academic accommodations, you’ll need to:
- Provide written documentation (see below) before the start of classes
- Meet with JSC Learning Specialist Rich Simmons at the start of your first semester. You must meet with the learning specialist each semester in order to arrange accommodations.
- Note that accommodations received in the past do not guarantee future accommodations.
Documenting the Need for Accommodations
Documentation can be no more than three years old and must substantiate your need for accommodations based on your current level of functioning in an educational setting. It must include:
- A diagnostic evaluation by a qualified professional;
- An assessment and specific diagnosis based on test results; and
- Specific recommendations for accommodations and the reasons for them.
A school plan such as an IEP or 504 Plan by itself is insufficient documentation, but it can be part of a more comprehensive evaluation. If documentation is missing, out of date or insufficient, you are responsible for providing additional documentation. See below for guidelines and forms to use in documenting a disability.
- Disabilities Disclosure Letter
- Services for Students With Disabilities
- Guidelines for Documenting a Learning Disability
- Guidelines for Documenting ADD/ADHD
- ADD/ADHD School Verification Form
- ADD/ADHD Physician Verification Form
- Guidelines for Documenting a Physical Disability
- Physical Disability Verification Form
- Guidelines for Documenting a Psychological Disability
- Psychological Disabilities Verification Form
To Learn More
For more information or to schedule an appointment with JSC’s learning specialist, call 802-635-1259 or stop by the Office of Academic Support Services in Dewey Hall.