Rooms and Spaces

Babcock Nature Preserve

Dewey Hall

Dibden Center for the Arts

Willey Library and Learning Center

Martinetti Hall

McClelland Hall

SHAPE Facility

Stearns Student Center

BABCOCK NATURE PRESERVE

Located in Eden, VT, the Babcock Nature Preserve is a 1,000-acre area of forest that serves as an outdoor laboratory for field biology, ornithology and environmental science courses. The area also contains a bog and three ponds. In addition to serving as a beautiful site for student learning and research, the Babcock Nature Preserve is open to the public.  The preserve is named for Robert and Anne Babcock, who donated the tract to the Vermont State Colleges in 1974. Robert Babcock was the first provost of the Vermont State Colleges, a member of the Vermont House of Representatives, and a lieutenant governor of Vermont serving under Governor Robert Stafford.

 

DEWEY HALL

1867 Room

Location:  Dewey Hall

Background:  1867 is an important year in the history of this institution because it is the year it became a State Normal School, one of three teacher training schools established by the Vermont Legislature. The precursor institutions were Johnson Academy (1828-1836) and Lamoille County Grammar School (1836-1867). The Grammar School* was also colloquially called "Johnson Academy" and "Lamoille Academy." In 1947, it became Johnson Teachers College and in 1961, Johnson State College.

Date:  This room in Dewey was named in September 2008.

Emma K. Thompson Seminar Room

Location: Dewey Hall

Plaque reads: Emma K. Thompson Seminar Room, Named in honor of Emma Thompson, Assistant to the Dean of Students 1969 to 2008. Placed December 2008

Background: Emma Thompson retired upon reaching her fortieth anniversary of service to the college in early 2009. A reception in her honor and the dedication of the Emma K. Thompson Seminar Room was held on December 5, 2008, with faculty, staff, students, retired staff and faculty, and alumni in attendance. Emma was literally the only person to have held her position at JSC, having been hired by Freda Hebb to serve as the initial secretary to the dean (her title later became staff assistant) in 1969. During her tenure, Emma worked with nineteen deans of students and eight Presidents. The class of 1988 dedicated their yearbook to her, noting in part "Emma’s warm and cheery smile, her willingness to listen and her yearly jelly bean contest make her a tradition at our college.  If Emma can’t tell you the answer to your question, probably no one can."  Emma received the Freda Hebb Award, the College’s highest honor for staff members, in 1989.  In her time at JSC, Emma  assisted countless students, staff, and faculty.  Her legacy is significant.

Date: December 2008

Howard South Lawn Lounge

Location: Dewey Hall

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of Sandra Buck Howard ’75.

Date: Spring 2009

Vickers Community Room

Location: Dewey Hall

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of Donald R. Vickers ’70.

Date: Summer 2009

 

DIBDEN CENTER FOR THE ARTS

Julian Scott Gallery & Exhibition on his Life

Location: ground floor of Dibden (Right Wing)

Background: Julian Scott, Vermont’s renowned Civil War artist, was born in Johnson in 1846 and attended JSC’s precursor institution, the Lamoille County Grammar School.** The art gallery in Dibden is named in his honor; two exhibit cases outside the gallery chronicle his life and art.

Date: Dedicated September 1989

top

Rachel Bissex Room

Location:  Dibden Center for the Arts, second floor

Plaque reads: This room named in memory of Rachel Bissex ’82, noted folk artist, singer, and songwriter. December 1956 - February 2005. Dedicated September 24, 2005

Date: September 24, 2005  

top

                 

WILLEY LIBRARY AND LEARNING CENTER (LLC)

Audio Visual Booth 1

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library, first floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Lawrence E. Ackerson, Class of 1980, in memory of his parents, Frederick and Laura Ackerson.

Date: September 8, 2000

Audio Visual Booth 2

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library, first floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Lawrence E. Ackerson, Class of 1980, in honor of his grandsons, Sampson Edward Ackerson and David J. Ackerson.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Audio Visual Booth 3

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library, first floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Kent H. Strobel, Class of 1977, in memory of his parents Albert and Eleanor Strobel.

Date: September 8, 2000

Children's Reading Room

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Given in honor of Alice G. Whiting

Plaque reads: Named in Honor of Alice G. Whiting, Professor of Education at JSC since 1965, Dedicated October 4, 1997.

Date: October  1997

Computer Lab

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC)- second floor                   

Plaque reads: Named in recogntion of the donations of Peter and Evelyn Fuss.

Date: December 2000

Crescent Bay Staircase

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - ground floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donations of Emma Thompson and George Desmarais.

Date: September 8, 2000

East Bay

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library- second floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donations of Sharon's Group of Campus Community Friends.

Background: Sharon Burns was on the JSC Physical Plant staff from 1971-2003, and was responsible for the beauty of the College’s flower gardens and plantings,  among other duties.

Date: September 8, 2000

top

Ellsworth Rooms

The Ellsworth Seminar Rooms are named in honor of Professor Emeritus Robert Alden Ellsworth, who taught history and government at Johnson State College from 1957 to 1973. In May 1990, the Vermont State Colleges awarded him an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters. Professor Ellsworth passed away at the age of 86 on April 12, 1994. He founded the Ellsworth Trust, a private foundation that enriches higher education and the study of political science and history at JSC through scholarships for undergraduates, annual lectures which bring visiting scholars to campus, grants to fund multicultural events, and travel grants for students and alumni.

Faculty Librarian’s Office

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: “Named in honor of Kenneth Raymond, Professor of History Emeritus and JSC Librarian 1962 until 1970.”

Background: At the request of JSC President Eric R. Gilbertson, Ken Raymond researched and wrote The History of Johnson State College 1828-1984. This book remains a valuable, singular source for the history of the first century and a half of the institution. In the preface, he wrote that the project was ...a rewarding opportunity to present the many faces of the college — academic, administrative, and student life — and the community and political developments that have shaped the college."

John Lord Seminar Rooms

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: John E. Lord Seminar Rooms, named in grateful recognition of 27 years of distinguished service to the college, 1977 - 2004, on the occasion of his retirement after 21 years as registrar.

Date: June 2004

 

Kelly Student Newspaper Office

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Third Floor

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of Professor Emeritus John and Barbara Duffy and Family, in memory of her father, journalist William J. Kelly.

Date: Spring 2009

Lower Crescent Bay

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - second floor

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the memory of Ruth Robinson Lombard, Class of 1934, in recognition of the donations of her family.

Date: September 8, 2000

Main Circulation Desk

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library- ground floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Smugglers' Notch Resort.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Main Spiral Staircase

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in honor of Cecilia Pantel, as a continuing gift of books in her honor by her daughter Katherine Killam, Class of 1988.

Date:  September 8, 2000

top

Marcia Stewart Chesborough Children’s Book Collection

Location: Book Collection in the Children’s Reading Room

Plaque reads: Given in memory of Marcia Chesborough by her family and friends, in recognition of her love of life, children, and books. Dedicated October 4, 1997.

Date: October,  1997

Media Arts Research Annex

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC) - ground floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Larry Ackerson, in memory of his wife, Margaret "Janet" Ackerson.

Date: September 8, 2000

Middle Crescent Bay

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - second floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donations of Sharon’s Group of Campus Community Friends.

Background: Sharon Burns was on the JSC Physical Plant staff from 1971-2003, and was responsible for the beauty of the college’s flower gardens and plantings,  among other duties.

Date: September 8, 2000

Middle Sterling Bay

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - second floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donations of Margaret Warden and her family,

in honor of her parents, Joseph E. & Margaret H. Ryan.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Media Arts Research Studio

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC) - first floor

Plaque reads: Media Arts Research Studio

Named in recognition of the donation of David H. Faile, Jr.

Class of 1968.

September 8, 2000

Date: September 8, 2000

Professor Doyle's Office

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC) - Third floor

Plaque reads: Professor Doyle’s Office, named in recognition of the donation of David H. Faile, Jr., Class of 1968.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Quiet Study Booth - Number One

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - third floor.

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Susan Martin Taylor, Class of 1989, in memory of her grandmother, Anna Dodds Martin.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Quiet Study Bo oth - Number Two

Location: WilleyLibrary and Learning Center (LLC) - third floor

Plaque reads: Named in honor of Anna M. Dermody, library staff from 1962 to 1985. Donated anonymously by one of her students.

Background:  In her tenure as reference librarian at JSC, Anna was a strong advocate for building the library collections and working closely with students and faculty on their research projects.  She possessed an enviable knowledge of books and a deep compassion for people, and remains a model librarian for her successors.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Quiet Study Booth - Number Three

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC) - third floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of John M. Farmer, in memory of his great aunt, Ida A. Farmer, Johnson Normal School, 1898.

Date: September 8, 2000

Quiet Study Booth - Number Four (now Alumni Archives)

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - third floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of John and Barbara Duffy of Isle La Motte.

Date placed:  September 8, 2000

Quiet Study Booth - Number Five (now Alumni Archives)

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - third floor.

Plaque reads: Named in memory of Helen J. Minaert, JSC staff member from 1947 to 1983, houseparent at Alumni House from 1949 to 1962, fondly remembered by all. 

Date:  April 1997

Quiet Study Booth - Number Six (now Alumni Archives)

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library, third floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Smugglers' Notch Corporation.

Date:  September 8, 2000

top

Sterling Picture Window - East

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library- ground floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of George A. Frisch, Class of 1975.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Sterling Picture Window - West

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library- ground floor

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the memory of W. Allen Fletcher and Anne Scharle Fletcher, in recognition of the donations of their families.

Date: September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 1

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC)

Plaque reads:  Named in recognition of the donation of The Class of 1996.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 2

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC)

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of June G. (Class of 1991) and Robert Guyette.

Date: September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 3

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC)

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Gertrude G. Lepine, Class of 1945.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 4

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC)

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Peter M. and Patricia L. Haslam.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 5

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Mr. and Mrs. Prescott W. Stearns, in memory of his mother, Helen Braley Stearns, Class of 1913, and his aunt, Grace Braley Stockwell, Class of 1915.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 6

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Ellwyn and Josephine Hayslip. From 1954 to 1957, Ellwyn chaired the JSC Art Department and Jo was House Mother at Pearl House.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 7

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Robert W. Tuomanen, Class of 1977.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 8

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Jane Godfrey White, Class of 1971.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 9

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of the Chesamore Honor Society.

Date:  September 8, 2000                   

Study Carrel 10

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of the JSC Alumni Council.

Date:  September 8, 2000

                  

Study Carrel 11

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of the JSC Alumni Council.

Date:  September 8, 2000

                  

Study Carrel 12

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of the JSC Alumni Council.

Date:  September 8, 2000

                   

Study Carrel 13

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of the Spin Station - Paul Sauvé, Class of 1988.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Study Carrel 14

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in memory of N. Eugene Dillow.

Date: September 8, 2000

                   

Study Carrel 15

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in memory of Jennie Thayer Monette (February 14, 1914 - September 13, 1998) by the Class of 1933.

Date:  September 8, 2000

                   

Study Carrel 16

Location: Wiley Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in memory of Ginny Fitzgerald, in recognition of her love of poetry and literature, by the Ellsworth Trust.

Date: September 8, 2000

                   

Study Carrel 17

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in memory of Stephen Kowalchyk, Class of 1976, by his sisters, family, and friends.

Date: September 8, 2000

top

The Old Switchboard Nook

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - third floor

Plaque reads: In honor of Pearl Earle, in recognition of the vital role that she and this antiquated switchboard played in keeping Johnson State College connected with the world. Named in recognition of the donations of Randy and Susan Schievella, Classes of 1978 & 1979, switchboard operators in the Work Study Program.

Date:  September 8, 2000

The Twenty-Four Hour Reading Room

Location: Ground floor of Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Plaque reads: Named in memory of Robert J. Harris, Class of 1976. Bob Harris (12/8/1950 - 2/24/1998) served for 18 years in the Vermont Legislature as the Representative from Windsor. He also served on the Vermont State College Board of Trustees, which established a scholarship endowment in his memory. His championship of the new LLC extended to leaving a bequest for the purchase of books. Dedicated: September 8, 2000

Date: September 2000

Top Crescent Bay

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library- second floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donations of Bob and Pat Chamberlain, Classes of 1974 and 1976.

Background: Robert Chamberlain was on the College staff from 1983 to 2001, and was Dean of Administration from 1990 to 2001. Pat served as director of the Child Development Center.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Vera Parker Children's Book Collection

Location:  Book Collection in Children’s Reading Room

Plaque reads: Named in honor of Vera Parker, Library Staff from 1968 to 1985. Dedicated September 8, 2000.

Background: Vera’s love of children’s literature was well-known, and during her years at the library she built and maintained a collection that was widely recognized throughout the state of Vermont.

Date: September 2000

West Sterling Bay

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library - second floor

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of the donation of Katharin and Arthur Brink, in memory of her parents, Vincent J. and Katharin J. W. Reilly.

Date:  September 8, 2000

Willey Gallery

Location: Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC), Library

Given by: Richard Willey & Rosalind Weiss

Plaque reads: Named in recognition of Richard E. Willey '71 and his wife Rosalind S. Weiss in honor of his parents Julia V. and Ervin L. Willey.

Date:  July 1999

Library Chairs (named in recognition of donations; plaques on back of each chair)

  • Jeanne Anderson
  • Dr. Kenneth Brighton
  • Sharon Burns
  • Butternut Mountain Farm
  • Scott Chase
  • Sue Chase
  • Ron Chesborough
  • Concept 2
  • Dr. Vince Crockenberg
  • Pauline Thresher Crombe, Class of 1945
  • Thomas DePaulis, Class of 1979
  • Sandra JC Douglass
  • Judith G. Flashman, Class of 1964
  • Jeffrey Greeder, Class of 2002, by Robert and Rosemary Greeder
  • Hugh Haggerty, Class of 1961
  • Paulette Pavluchuk Harkins, Class of 1964
  • Claudia A. King, Class of 1983
  • Roger Haigh
  • J. Churchill and Marilyn Lanou Hindes
  • Peter and Linda Kramer
  • Alene Fletcher Lanou
  • Gertrude G. Lepine, Class of 1949
  • Sally Laughlin
  • John Lord
  • Jay C. Lyotte
  • Dr. Walter A. Minaert
  • A. Craig Raabe, Class of 1983
  • Mark Reibman, Class of 1973
  • Martha DePecol Sanner, Class of 1977
  • Mr. & Mrs. Roy M. Schwartz, Jr.
  • Sheraton Burlington Hotel & Conference Center
  • Barbara Graves Story, Classes of 1942 & 1981
  • Dr. Carol M. Story, Class of 1969, MA1974
  • Susan M. Taylor, Class of 1989
  • Rebecca Woodbury Tucker, Class of 1994
  • Jonathan and Michele Waters
  • Professor Alice G. Whiting, Class of 1956
  • Robert S. Wilczynski, Class of 1988

Date: September 8, 2000

Library Chairs (named in memorial)

In memorial of C. Susan LaPorte

Plaque reads: In loving memory of C. Susan LaPorte ’82. She’ll always be remembered. Moody & the Boyz. 

Date: September 8, 2000

top

MARTINETTI

Freda Hebb Room

Location: Martinetti Hall, ground floor

Plaque reads: The room is named in honor of Freda Hebb, Class of 1925, who served the college from 1934 to 1972 as registrar and secretary to the president.  For many years she was the one-person administrative staff, filling the roles of secretary to the president, bookkeeper, personnel manager, and business manager.  During her 38 years at Johnson, she served under six presidents.  Her dedication to the school and her willingness to “go the extra mile” are legendary here.  Each year, JSC’s highest award for staff service, The Freda Hebb Award, is given to a JSC employee who possesses the qualities of dedication and service she exemplified.  Also yearly, the Alumni Association gives a scholarship in her name, from endowment funds, she left to the college.  She passed away in 1997, just a month shy of her 90th birthday, but her memory lives on at JSC.

Dedicated: The Freda Hebb Conference Room in Martinetti was named for her in August 2006.

Date: August 2006

top

MCCLELLAND

Doris Spencer Room

Location: McClelland Hall

Background: This room is named in honor of Dr. Doris U. Spencer, who was professor of education at JSC from 1943 until 1973. She was a leading educator in Vermont and New England, specializing in reading, an author, and a "teacher of teachers." She chaired the Education Department for many years and was made a professor emeritus after her retirement.  The 1991 room dedication program says “Dr. Spencer was a graduate of Lyndon Normal School and of Boston University, where she received her doctorate in 1957. While at Boston University, she began her work in individualizing reading instruction, work which became her trademark throughout her professional career. Her ideas about reading instruction are, no doubt, part of the foundation upon which the whole language approach to reading is based. She was president of the Vermont Council on Reading and the Vermont Education Association, a secretary and board member of the New England Reading Association, and a membership officer of the International Reading Association. She was awarded the Vermont Council of Reading’s Lyman C. Hunt Award for outstanding contributions to reading. The Spencer Trust was established in her memory to provide scholarships to worthy Johnson State College students pursuing graduate work in reading and language arts. Dr Spencer’s ideas still influence reading instruction today throughout Vermont, New England, and nationwide. We, her former students, are pleased to honor her today as we dedicate this seminar room in her memory.”

Date: This room was dedicated during Homecoming Weekend, October 12, 1991.

top

SHAPE

Athletic Director’s Office

Location: SHAPE

Given by

Robert Guyette & June G. Guyette Class of 1991

Placed September 2010

Carter Gym

Location: SHAPE Facility.

Background: This gym was built in 1966. The College’s first gym, it was named for William Carter, Principal, Johnson State Normal School, from 1944-1947 and President, Johnson State Teachers College, 1947-1952.

Date: 1966

Reception area

Location: SHAPE

Plaque reads: Named in honor of

Sally Reynolds

 JSC staff member from 1972 to present

Given in honor and memory of

JSC cancer victims and survivors.

Placed September 2010

 

Sally Reynolds Reception Area

Location: SHAPE, 2nd floor

Plaque reads:  “Sally Reynolds - JSC staff member from 1972 to present."

In honor and memory of JSC cancer victims and survivors. Placed December 2009.

Date:  December 2009

top

STEARNS STUDENT CENTER

Ackerson Computer Station

Named in honor of the contributions of

Lawrence E. Ackerson, Class of 1980

In loving tribute to and memory of

Gary P. Ackerson

Placed December 2011

Bill Doyle Private Dining/Conference Room

Location: Stearns Student Center

Plaque reads: Named in honor of Professor/Senator Bill Doyle thanks to the contributions of National Life Group, Union Mutual Fire Insurance, and Vermont Mutual Insurance Company.

Date:  December 2009

Heinrich Fireplace Stone Bench

Location: Stearns Student Center

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of Mark and Star Heinrich, Class of 1969.

Date: Spring 2009

 

Luck Community Room

Location: Stearns Student Center

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of Michael F. Luck ’70 & Barbara C. Wilson, in loving tribute to and memory of William H. and Mary (Leddy) Luck.

Date: Spring 2009

Rock Art Brewery Alcoves

Location: Stearns Student Center

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of

Matthew K. and Renee B. Nadeau, Class of 1989

Founders and proprietors of Rock Art Brewery

Placed September 2010

Sargent Private Dining/Conference Room

Location: Stearns Student Center

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of Stella Sargent in memory of her husband Walter Sargent.

Date: Spring 2009                   

Wolfe Community Room

Location: Stearns Student Center

Plaque reads: Named in honor of the contributions of Geofrey T. Wolfe, Class of 1972, and Joan I. Wolfe.

Date: Spring 2009

Footnotes

*The date of the Lamoille County Grammar School is listed, with other county institutions, in Mason S. Stone’s History of Vermont Education, State of Vermont, [1936], p. 226.

**Robert J. Titterton, Julian Scott: Artist of the Civil War and Native America, Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1997, p. 13.

top