Built in 1965, this residence hall was named for Chester A. Arthur, who was born in Fairfield, Vermont. He became the 21st President of the United States (1881-1885), assuming office when James Garfield was assassinated. He was a lawyer, politician, and civil servant before being elected to the Vice Presidency.
Bentley Hall was built in 1971 and named for Wilson A. Bentley, a farmer born in 1865 in Jericho, Vermont, who became the world’s expert on snowflakes. The photos he took in the late 1800s and early 1900s are still unsurpassed. JSC named the new science building in honor of “Snowflake” Bentley. Originally it housed sciences, math, and arts; currently it houses science and math.
Dewey Hall was dedicated on October 2, 1965 and is named for John Dewey (1859-1951), American philosopher, educator, and writer, a Vermont native who was one of America's most famous teachers of philosophy. Originally, it housed the college library and classrooms; currently it houses Dean of Students and student services offices, TRIO, Upward Bound, Basement Medicine, bookstore, classrooms, and seminar rooms.
Dibden Center for the Arts
Built in 1971, Dibden was named for the late Arthur Dibden, President of Johnson State College from 1967-1969. President Dibden died in office, and the new arts center was named in his memory by popular appeal of the students. Dibden houses an auditorium, practice rooms, classrooms, and the Julian Scott Memorial Gallery.
Willey Library and Learning Center (LLC)
Dedicated in 1996 by Governor Howard Dean, the Willey Library and Learning Center was named in September 2011 in recognition of the donations of Richard E. Willey, JSC Class of 1971, and his wife, Rosalind S. Weiss, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. They have a $1 million gift, in the form of an irrevocable bequest. The LLC houses the library, the Department of Humanities and the Department of Writing and Literature, an open-access computer lab, a math and science computer lab, a language laboratory and a multimedia classroom. The library holds 110,000 volumes in open stacks plus electronic media.
Martinetti Hall was dedicated on January 11, 1960. The building is named for Odino A. Martinetti, who was Principal of Johnson State Teachers College from 1952 to 1961, and President of Johnson State College from 1961 to 1966. Originally it housed the dining hall, a fireplace lounge, and the women’s dorm. Currently, it houses administration,the Business and Economics Department, and dorms.
McClelland was dedicated in September 1942 and named for Donald W. McClelland, Principal of Johnson Normal School from 1935 to 1944. Originally it housed administrative offices, a library, classrooms, and a rural school demonstration teaching classroom. Currently it houses the departments of Education, Sociology, and Psychology, as well as the Child Development Center.
Senators and Governors Halls
Built in 1971, these residence halls were named in honor of the Vermont Senate and of Vermont governors, in gratitude to the Vermont Legislature for providing the capital funds for construction.
Opened in 1990 as a new building connected to the old Carter Gym, SHAPE (Student Health and Physical Education) fitness center offers equipment and fitness facilities, a 25-yard swimming pool, a bouldering wall, and more to JSC students, faculty, staff, and the surrounding communities. SHAPE is also home to the College's Athletic Department, Health and Physical Education Division, Athletic Training Department, and human performance lab.
Stearns Student Center
Stearns Hall was built in 1971 and named in honor of Charles H. Stearns (1854-1936), a leading citizen of Johnson, who served in the Vermont legislature and as lieutenant governor (1904-1906). In business, he was a founding partner in Parker and Stearns, manufacturer of lumber and hardwood floorings, and later ran the feed and grain business C.H. Stearns & Sons. He strongly supported higher education and worked vigorously in the legislature in support of Johnson Normal School. The building was remodeled (and indeed transformed) in 2008. It continues to house the dining hall and student center.
Visual Arts Center (VAC)
Opened in 1976 and remodeled and expanded in 2011, the VAC houses the college's visual arts programs, with drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, sculpture, ceramics and woodworking studios, as well exhibition galleries and faculty offices.
Our main source of reference for the built environment at JSC is Kenneth Raymond’s book, The History of Johnson State College 1828-1984, Johnson, VT: Johnson State College, 1985. We referred to articles in JSC student and alumni publications (i.e., Basement Medicine, Johnson Views), personal correspondence and department files for buildings constructed after 1984.