FlagWelcome home, and welcome to JSC!


We at Johnson State College are grateful for your service and are committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. Whether you're resuming your studies or enrolling for the first time, our Veterans Administration (VA) certifying official, Tammy Goss, can help you navigate the process to access your educational benefits. These benefits may cover most or all of the cost of a JSC degree.


Accessing Your Veterans' Benefits at JSC

As a veteran, you may be covered by the Montgomery Bill or the Post-9/11 GI Bill, both of which provide federal tuition assistance — or you may be eligible for other programs that can help pay for college.


The VA determines your eligibility for these programs. Benefits may include payment for courses, books, tutoring and a housing allowance. In some cases these benefits can be transferred to a dependent. Veterans receiving educational benefits must comply with JSC and VA expectations and regulations as well as all federal laws.


If you're a veteran with a disability, you may be entitled to additional benefits. To learn more, call 800-827-1000.

In accordance with VA requirements, most JSC programs are approved by the Vermont Department of Education for veterans' education leading to a college degree or an approved training program. (Note: "Basic skills" courses — those numbered below 1000 — are not covered by veterans' benefits unless they are required of the student by the college.)


Always check with Tammy Goss, our VA certifying official, to confirm that a course is covered by your benefits.

At JSC, we waive the application fee for veterans, and we waive the $200 tuition deposit upon enrollment. Under the federal MyCAA program — commonly referred to as tuition assistance for spouses — we also offer up to $6,000 in tuition benefits to military spouses. Veterans are eligible for JSC scholarships as well. And all students at JSC have free access to educational, personal and academic-support counseling available through the College.


Getting Started at JSC

If you're a veteran or a dependent of a veteran eligible for educational benefits, contact Tammy Goss, JSC's designated VA certifying official, at or 802-635-1227. (If you have already enrolled, be sure to connect with Tammy the first week of classes.) In addition to helping you access or understand your benefits, Tammy can assist with referrals to outside services.


If you have general questions about your benefits, write or call the VA Regional Office, PO Box 4616, Buffalo, NY 14240-4616; telephone: 888-422-4551.


Again, thank you for your service. We look forward to welcoming you on campus.