Grants are a type of financial aid that does not have to be repaid. There are a number of different grant sources commonly available to students:

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grants are based on financial need and are the foundation of federal student aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is a federal grant awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need and whose expected family contribution is low. Priority for these grants is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients and to students who apply by JSC's priority deadlines.

JSC Institutional Grant

Institutional grants are awarded to undergraduates with exceptionally high financial need and priority is given to students who apply by JSC's priority deadlines. Award amounts are based on available funding and number of applicants.

State Student Incentive Grant Program

For these grants, eligibility requirements vary from state. Permanent Vermont residents must visit the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC) Web site to complete their online application. Students from outside of Vermont should check with the Higher Education Agency in their state for details. For contact details, search the Department of Education’s database of State Higher Education Agencies. States may require a separate application in addition to the FAFSA.