Instructions for Student Loan and Parent PLUS Loan Borrowers
This page provides information on completing the promissory note and loan entrance counseling for student loan borrowers, as well as instructions for Parent PLUS Loan borrowers.
- First go to www.studentloans.gov
- On the home page, click on the green sign in button. (Note: this site does not load properly on all browsers; you will have best results with Internet Explorer)
- Use your FAFSA PIN as your password to sign in by clicking the green box.
- Select “Complete Master Promissory Note” from the welcome page menu.
- From the next list choose the type of loan(s) you are borrowing. Students will select Subsidized/Unsubsidized.
- Complete the on screen instructions to the end. You will be informed on the screen and via email, that your promissory note has been successfully completed.
- Use the same website to complete your loan entrance counseling (new borrowers only).
- You will select “Complete Entrance Counseling” from the welcome page menu.
- Again select “Complete Entrance Counseling” and follow the on screen instructions.
*NOTE: This process takes about 15-20 minutes to complete so you will want to be sure you have ample time to finish it. You can not save it and go back later to finish.
Parent PLUS Loan Borrowers
(The following steps must be completed by the parent borrower)
- First go to www.studentloans.gov.
- On the home page click on the green sign in button. (Note: this site does not load properly on all browsers; for best results, use Internet Explorer).
- Parents, use your FAFSA PIN as the password to sign in.
- Select “Complete Master Promissory Note” from the welcome page menu (not “Complete PLUS Request Process”).
- From the next list choose, Parent PLUS.
- Follow the screen instructions to the end. Parents, when you are informed that the promissory note was successfully completed, sign off. (Entrance Counseling is not required for parent borrowers).
- Complete the 2013-14 PLUS Loan Pre-Application, which you can download and print from our Forms and Resources page.
- Return the form to the Office of Financial Aid by mail or fax. Parents, the loan cannot be processed if this form is not submitted to our office; it is the only way we know the amount you want to borrow.