How & When to Apply for Financial Aid
Johnson State College Priority Filing Dates for Financial Aid
March 1: New students
May 1: Returning students
Financial aid applications are available after January 1 for the upcoming academic year. Submit your financial aid application on or before the dates above to be considered an "on-time" applicant. After these dates, awards will be based on availability of funds.
Follow These Steps to Simplify the Financial Aid Application Process
1) Obtain a Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (PIN). You will need a PIN to sign your aid application and documents electronically. Parents of dependent students will also need to obtain a PIN. Apply for a PIN here: www.pin.ed.gov.
2) Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Often referred to as FAFSA on the Web, this online application gives you directions each step of the way.
3) Gather the documents you need before you begin. Review what is needed here.
4) Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to save time and avoid the possibility of having to provide tax transcripts to us. If tax returns are not complete in time to meet JSC’s priority filing dates, use estimated income; you can log into your FAFSA and make corrections at a later date.
5) Be sure to provide our “Federal School Code” 003688 in the required section on the FAFSA. Your information will then be forwarded to the JSC Financial Aid Office by the Federal Processor.
6) Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) which you will receive by email if provided on your FAFSA. if you did not include your email on the FAFSA, it will be mailed to you. You receive the SAR from the federal processor after you file your FAFSA. Review the information for accuracy and make corrections as necessary especially if estimated tax information was used.
Important to Know
- If you applied for aid during the previous year, simply update your Renewal FAFSA using your PIN. You must reapply for aid each year.
- You do not need to be accepted by admissions before beginning the financial aid application process.
- Johnson State College does not require a separate financial aid application; only the FAFSA. It is your responsibility to file a state grant application if applicable.
- To qualify for financial aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen; must have a valid Social Security number; must enroll in a degree program for at least 6 credits; cannot be in default on a federal loan or owe a refund from prior aid received; must be registered for Selective Service (if required); and must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress once enrolled.
Information for Incoming Spring Semester Students
- Complete and submit your FAFSA following the instructions given above no later than December 1, before the start of the spring semester. Please note, students beginning at Johnson State in the spring are awarded based on the availability of funds.
- Remember to complete a renewal FAFSA after January 1, for the upcoming academic year.
Questions? Contact the Financial Aid Office
Toll-Free: (800) 635-2356
Office: (802) 635-1380
Fax: (802) 635-1463
Johnson State College
Office of Financial Aid
337 College Hill
Johnson, VT 05656-9464