Education By Engagement
The philosophy underlying the JSC Upward Bound Program is that a college education makes a difference in life. This program is about working with students and families who are identified as possessing the desire and motivation to attend college immediately following high school graduation.
Upward Bound currently is working with 90 students from 10 different high schools located throughout Northern Vermont. We are completely funded by a federal TRIO grant for $456,501 per year. There is no cost for students to participate.
Upward Bound is designed to work with students whose parents do not posses a four-year college degree or who earn a modest income (guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Education). Our program provides a four-year comprehensive set of college preparation services and experiences that are offered throughout the academic and summer calendar.
Program Services at a Glance
- Free College Bound Service
- College Tours/Visits Offered Annually Throughout New England
- Leadership Skill Development
- Career Development
- Summer Program Student Stipend
- Year-Round Academic Support and Guidance
- Six-week Academic/Residential Program on the Johnson State College Campus
- Paid Academic/Career Internship
- Annual Community Service Learning Projects
- Waivers for SAT Exams, College Applications and AP Exams
- Test Preparation for SAT Exam