Teachers' Learning Community
The Teachers' Learning Community (TLC) is a support group for all Education majors (undergraduate and graduate) looking to interact with their fellow students and to gain valuable experience in community schools.
Here are some of the events that TLC has sponsored in the past:
Grant Meixel: “Facing and Overcoming Procrastination: Lessons from Literature and Life”
Morna Flaum: “Supercharge Your Learning and Take Control of your Life with Stories, Maps, Images & Imagination”
David Smith: “A Teacher's Journey: Engaging Middle Level Learners”
Eileen McKusick: “Exploring Therapeutic Sound Treatments in the Context of Emerging Paradigms in Wellness, Physics and Cosmology”
Lolly Bliss: “Nature Deficit Disorder”
Deb Nevil: “Johnson State College Students Engaged in Active Democracy: The Power of Advocacy”
Sheila Bannister: “Addressing a Vital Health Need for Vermonters: A New Provider for Dental Care”
Zac Stein: “Mind, Brain and Education”
- Grant Meixel: “Procrastination: Truth or Dare”
- Stephanie Decarreau: Code-Switching in the Kindergarten: A Linguistic Analysis
- Eileen McKusick: Demonstrating and Defining the Human Energy Field/Biofield
- Nancy Randall: A Reading Club for Elementary School Boy
- Sara Reed: Journaling with High School History Student
- Grant Meixel - Procrastination
Camille Campanile - Exercise and Brain Development during Childhood
- Morna Flaum - Schema Theory
- Zak Stein - Effects of Standardized Testing
- Nancy Randall - Reading Club for Elementary School Boys
- Sara Reed - Journaling in Secondary English
- Deb Nevil, Senator Doyle, Professor Witte - Active Democracy: Linking with Legislators.To be immediately followed by Leanne Gibson's video on Redistricting.
- Grant Meixel: "An Extended Meditation on Procrastination: Implications for Educators"
- Morna Flaum: "All You Ever Wanted to Know About Schema"
- Marc Gilbertson: "The Use of the Classroom Response
- System and Other 21st-Century Technology in the
- Secondary Social Studies Classroom.
- Eileen McKusick: "Sacred Geometry in the Educational
- Camille Campanile: "Confrontations with the Big Bad Wolf: Dr. Darlene Witte, Deb Nevil and Sen. William Doyle on "Active Democracy: Educators Linking with Legislators," an independent study opportunity for education students.
- Eileen McKusick: The 4th State of Matter in the Educational Context: The Physics and Metaphysics of Plasma
- Sarajane Peck and Sarah Stein: An Original Place-Based K-6 Curriculum Exploring Local Wetlands and Your Community
- Zac Stein: Mind, Brain & Education, Part II
Russ Weis presented a talk called "The Eco-Sustainable Campus" as his Masters in Education Capstone Experience in Stearns Performance Space on Sept. 8, 2009. If you are interested in learning more about how to incorporate environmental themes and projects into your teaching at the high school and college levels, please contact Russ at 635-1376 or Russell.Weis@jsc.edu
Harvard Ph.D. candidate Zachary Stein joined us on March 25, 2009. His provocative presentation, entitled "Mind, Brain, and Education: Insights from an Emerging Field" was very well received. Click here to view a poster for the event (pdf). Click here to view an abstract of the topics he covered, as well as his biographical information.
For more information
Phone: 802-635-1376 or stop by TLC office: McClelland 115
- Online Praxis help is available here: More