Formally Declaring a Major

Campus-Based Students

After earning 45 credit hours in a bachelor's degree program, or 12 credit hours in an associate's degree program, all campus-based students must formally declare a major by submitting a Change of Major Form to the Registrar's Office, if they have not already done so.

Transfer Students: Students transferring in 45 credit hours or more for a bachelor's degree, or 12 credit hours for an associate's degree program, must declare a major within the first semester of their program.

A student may declare any major officially in existence at the time the student declares a major. The Program Evaluation available on Web Services outlines the requirements in the student's major and describes how the student intends to meet those requirements.

EDP Students

EDP students may choose from the following majors: business management, elementary education, professional studies, liberal arts, and psychology. Other JSC programs, including secondary teaching licensure, are available if students can take courses on the JSC campus. For details on degree requirements, see the sections in this catalog on particular academic departments.

Students majoring in Professional Studies or Liberal Arts must prepare an individualized degree plan with the help of advisors during their first semester. Students in these majors may not graduate until their degree plans have received approval by the EDP Academic Review Board. If a student has not submitted a degree plan by the last review meeting of the second semester in the program, the program's co-directors may recommend administrative dismissal for one semester. In the first semester of their program, students majoring in professional studies or liberal arts must prepare an individualized degree plan with the help of their advisor.