EDP General Education Requirements (for EDP students)
Students enrolled in the External Degree Program must earn at least 60 credits in liberal arts. These credits must include the following components of general education:
Key Skills 6 credits
- Mathematics (3 credits)
- Rhetorical Expression: (ENG-1220, 3 credits), or earn a waiver by passing a challenge exam. This requirement must be met by the end of a student's second semester or after completion of 15 credits in EDP. ENG-1220 meets the College's graduation requirement in writing for EDP students, and no other course or experiential credits can substitute for it.
Integrated Knowledge 25 credits
- Individual and Human Relationships (6 credits). English literature or writing, languages, communications, psychology or other courses with a focus on understanding self and others.
- Social and Historical Relationships (6 credits). Sociology, history, political science, economics, law and other courses focusing on social institutions, movements, and problems past and present. At least three credits must emphasize an historical perspective.
- Environmental and World Relationships (7 credits). Sciences (physical, biological, environmental, health). At least four credits must use or study scientific method, including a lab or field study.
- Universal and Philosophical Relationships (6 credits). Studies with a focus on transcendent issues, symbolic systems, and aesthetic understanding. At least three credits must be in a consciously speculative field such as philosophy, religious studies, mythology, aesthetic or symbolic theory. Other credits can be in areas such as art, music or drama.