All students required to live on campus, or students who have met the housing policy requirements and choose to continue living in the residence halls, are required to pay a non-refundable $100 room deposit. For new students, this deposit is part of the required Admissions Deposit. For returning students, this deposit must be paid prior to participating in Room Selection for the upcoming academic year (month of April). Students may not be assigned their room of choice in the residence halls until the room deposit is received in the Business Office.
Financial aid, scholarships, or anticipated aid cannot be accepted in lieu of the $100 deposit.
For housing contracts that are cancelled prior to May 30, the student will receive their room deposit. Housing contracts cancelled after May 30 will result in a forfeit of the $100 room deposit.
Students who are not required to live on campus include the following:
- Students turning 21 years of age on or before the beginning of the spring semester;
- Students who are married or are single parents with custody of children;
- Students claiming same-sex domestic partnership;
- Students commuting to and from JSC from the permanent residence of a parent or legal guardian, that is within a 30 mile radius of the college. A Parental Statement form is required;
- Students completing internships, student teaching, or assistantships out of the Johnson area;
- Returning students who have met the on-campus housing policy requirement;
- Students taking 8 or fewer VSC credits per semester.
Students living in the residence halls are required to be registered for and actively participating in 9 or more credits. Should a residential student drop below 9 credits during the current semester, he or she may not receive permission to continue living in the residence halls. Students must request, in writing to the Assistant Dean of Students, permission to remain in residence. Decisions will be made on a case by case basis.
Housing Contracts are valid for the entire academic year. Fall-term students are not offered a semester-long housing contract. Students should refer to the JSC Student Handbook or the housing contract for housing exemption criteria and procedures.
Requests for a housing exemption, together with appropriate documentation, must be made in writing, using the online Request for Exemption form, and submitted to the Housing Review Committee, by April 1 for returning students and by July 1 for new and transfer students. For students entering in the spring semester, the deadline is December 1. The Request for Exemption form is accessible on the JSC Web site (jsc.edu/residencehalls).