Bachelor of Arts in Communication and Community Media
This interdisciplinary communications degree program consists of three concentrations Print and Web Community Journalism, Photojournalism, and Public Relations sharing a common core of eight courses. It is designed to prepare students for careers in media communications, journalism, and photojournalism in both print and web-based media.
Learning Outcomes for Communication and Community Media Majors
- Students will understand and apply best practices in community journalism, public relations, and photojournalism.
- Students will understand and apply ethical principles to their communications work.
- Students will gain competency in a variety of media platforms applicable to both print and web.
- Students will achieve proficiency in journalistic processes, including interviewing techniques, research, story structure, AP style, and writing concisely, clearly and accurately,
- Students will understand the strengths and limitations of social media and apply that knowledge professionally.
- Students will learn to work under the pressure of constant deadlines.
- Students will understand current mass media theories as they apply to their concentration.