Bachelor of Arts in Professional Studies
The B.A. in Professional Studies is available only to students in the External Degree Program. This major offers adult learners the option of designing a plan of study to pursue a special career or other interest not available through JSC's other majors. It also allows EDP students, who may have college credits from a number of institutions and life experience, to weave together the threads of their prior learning into a coherent degree program. Students are asked to declare and explore an area of special emphasis while meeting the EDP general education and other requirements for a bachelor's degree.
- At least 60 credits required before entrance into EDP and the major.
- Completion of the EDP's general education program
- During the student's first semester, development and submission of a degree plan, including a narrative, that declares a focus of study and demonstrates integration of prior learning and proposed courses.
- Successful completion of the coursework in the degree plan and other requirements for earning a bachelor's degree through the EDP.
Note: It is not possible to do a minor along with the major in professional studies unless the credits for the minor are in addition to the 120 credits required for a bachelor's degree.
Learning Outcomes for Professional Studies Majors
Students will be able to:
- Plan a coherent, individualized program of study with a clear focus and in keeping with their personal goals.
- Demonstrate bachelor's-level knowledge in one or more fields of interest.
- Demonstrate connections between theoretical learning and practical experience in relation to the field of interest.
- Demonstrate an ability to reflect upon and synthesize key aspects of the learning experience in the program.