For many entering college freshmen, the first year away from home can be a particularly daunting experience. Away from friends and family in an unfamiliar environment, first-year students often feel unconnected and unsupported.
JSC’s Transition Program provides the kind of individualized support and one-to-one connection that can make the difference between success and failure in the crucial first year of college. Studies have shown that students who make these connections early in their academic careers are more likely to stay in college, be satisfied with their experiences, get better grades, and graduate.
As one former Transition Program participant put it, “College isn’t all about having fun and getting freedom from your parents. It’s about what you want in your future, what you want out of life. You get out of it what you put in.”
The Transition Program is a structured two-semester experience which contains the following components:
- A pre-orientation activity which includes team-building with other students and the Academic Support Services staff
- Frequent, regular advising meetings to monitor progress
- Early feedback from instructors on students’ progress
- Ready access to tutoring and other support services
- Career and major exploration and development
For More Information
For more information on how the Transition Program can help you succeed at JSC, contact us at 1-802-635-1259 or by email.